titaniumbunker.com

Evil geniuses and world domination are 2 of our goals... we also like Dr Who

Gallifrey Android Application – Getting a working Dev environment

1 comment

I’m rocking multiple machines here in the bunker.

There’s my trusty Desktop, an Acer Aspire Netbook and my Aspire1700 Laptop.

  • The Desktop is (according to LSHW). an AMD Duron 1.2ghz with 1GB ram.  I believe there is scope to over clock it to 2.2ghz, but for what I use it for, it isn’t an issue.
  • The Netbook is based on an Atom, and really won’t be up to running an emulator.
  • I share the ownership of the laptop, The Mrs likes to do her face book stuff on it.

So the desktop seemed an ideal candidate to set up a development tool chain.  I kicked off the emulator one Sunday morning, and promptly forgot about it.  I had read on other blogs that it can take a while for the emulator to ‘spin up’.  Anyway I could see on the surveillance cameras that it was a lovely day outside, so I went to the Hanbury vintage transport show and got to see all the vintage cars, and the spectacular Victory, the worlds largest touring concert organ.

After a day of vintage cars and massive organs *snigger* I returned to the bunker and collapsed exhausted.

Monday morning I awoke to see that I had left the computer on.  In my rush to sample the delights of Hanbury I had forgotten to power down.  Worryingly it was still at the Android Animated screen.

I did manage to install the Emulator onto the Laptop, and that was much better – launching the emulator in minutes. I used a couple of blogs I stumbled upon while researching and quite some trial and error.  The plan for the rest of this post is to highlight the blog posts and any ‘gotchas’ that I encountered along the way.

Here’s what I did.

  • I installed ubuntu onto 100gb of spare partition.
  • Installed Eclipse using Software Centre (apt-get install ecplipse should do it)
  • I downloaded and exracted the Android SDK, and ran the android script.  Running this script without parameters presents the user interface.
  • I selected the upgrade / install option and installed the SDK, choosing the latest version.
  • Created a blank Android emulator instance
    • Ran the android script from the SDK location
    • Select Virtual Devices
    • Click New
    • Gave it a name, and picked the Android 2.2 from the target options.
  • I installed the Android tools for Eclipse
    • Load Eclipse
    • Click Help \ Install New Software
    • Clicked the Add button, to create a new software source, creating a source called google with a web address of https://dl-ssl.google.com/android/eclipse/
    • Installed all the developer tools there.
  • I created a new Android project
    • Clicked File \ New \ Other – Select the Android Project option.  Give the package a name and target.  If there are any errors the project wizard will display a little red icon. On my machine the dialogue box was too short to display all of the information –
    • Linked that to an emulator instance.
    • Click Run \ Run Configurations.  Select Android Application.  Fill in the wizard, selecting the virtual machine created earlier.  As far as I can see a run configuration applies to  project.  The configuration dialogue here also seems to hide information – for example the tick box which disables the boot animation.  The dialogue can be resized accordingly.
  • Run a test project – everything worked

One Response to “Gallifrey Android Application – Getting a working Dev environment”

  1. […] Gallifrey Android Application – Getting a working Dev environment | titaniumbunker.com […]



Categories

Archives

Tags